Thursday, July 3, 2008

Afraid Again


Has anybody worked with lyrics before? This came to me in lyric form (but without a melody). I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd love input/help!


I was in the desert
and didn't feel the burning
until I asked for sleep
and my blistered feet
kept me awake.


You were breaking me
and I continued to bend,
only felt the hairline cracks
miles and months later
when I was afraid again.


I'm afraid again.


I thought I'd finally passed the test
but the teacher asked
me to forget, not sit
in his empty classroom.
The books are gone,
the blackboard's creak,
the morning sun, it's moving on.


Even the lessons/ even the loves/ even the heartaches/even the homes/ even the mountains/ even the seas/ the rocks of remembrance/ even the trees/


The clothes you found that finally fit/ the songs you repeated/ the fires you lit/ the voices on the train/ the voice of the rain/ the fish and the hooks/ the myth and magic and address books


The rope and ladder/ the billowed sail/ the videocamera/ and checking your mail/ the words of caution/ the hands of regret/ the glimpse in the rearview/ your reaching neck
they're fading like water/ like colors/ like sand/ the sea's receding/ I'm afraid again.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Afraid I don't really know about lyrics, but the rhythm seems to lend itself nicely to a melody. The part with "teacher" and "empty classroom" get awkward.